Over one quarter of buildings in the UK are traditionally built and are often mistakenly treated as modern buildings resulting in unintended consequences – they require ‘responsible retrofit’.
The Environment Study Centre has teamed up with the CITB’s National Construction College and specialist building consultancy Edwards Hart to develop this unique course that delivers a qualification in energy efficiency retrofit. It is also the only course of its kind that is delivered all over the UK – England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Upon successful completion participants will be awarded the SQA Level 3 Award for Energy Efficiency for Older & Traditional Buildings (QCF). This is a government approved qualification and has been developed to suit contractors and consultants, as well as clients.
The three SQA Level 3 Award units that make up the Level 3 Award, and are listed below:
- SQA code H6MK 69 Older and Traditional Buildings: Age, Nature and Characteristics
- SQA unit code H6MM 69 Older and Traditional Buildings: Assessing Options for the Introduction of Energy Efficiency Measures
- SQA code H6MN 69 Older and Traditional Buildings: Making Recommendations and Giving Advice on the Introduction of Energy Efficiency Measures.
In addition, supplementary information to support learners understanding of the broader issues affecting the energy efficiency and retrofit of pre-1919 traditional buildings is provided in the form of three course handbooks covering the subject areas below:
- Understanding the chronology, building styles, age and characteristics of traditional (pre-1919) buildings and understanding how the thermal performance and energy and efficiency of traditional (pre-1919) buildings are assessed
- Understanding the impact of the Installation of retrofit of energy efficiency measures to traditional (pre-1919) buildings and installation of energy efficiency measures in relationship to craft occupations
- Understanding the range of available energy efficiency systems and measures available
Once payment has been received participants will be sent the three course manuals in electronic format. This will be supplemented by further training material at the training session.
Training will be delivered by expert practitioner John Edwards, MA, DipBldgCons, BCAS, CEnv, FCIOB, FRICS, IHBC, Director of Edwards Hart Consultants and a member of the STBA panel of experts.
The course requires participants to have experience of the construction and property industry and is suitable for a range of practitioners which includes:
- Architects, Surveyors, Engineers & Housing Technical Officers
- Energy Assessors and advisors
- Project Managers
- Conservation Officers
- Building Control Officers
- Works Supervisors & Site Managers
- First Line Supervisors & Managers.
- Estimators, planners and designers
- All-round general building operatives who have some experience of working on traditional buildings
- Installers of Solid Wall Insulation Systems
- Experienced Craftspeople
- Client Representatives